from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The anterior division of the thorax of an insect, bearing the first pair of legs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The anterior part of the insect thorax; it carries the first pair of legs
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The first or anterior segment of the thorax in insects. See Illusts. of butterfly and coleoptera.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Insecta, the first one of the three thoracic somites, which succeeds the head, is succeeded by the mesothorax, and bears the first pair of legs.
- n. See the adjectives.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the anterior part of an insect's thorax; bears the first pair of legs
Sorry, no etymologies found.