from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a group of eukaryotic organisms belonging to the kingdom Protista according to some widely used modern taxonomic systems. The protists include a variety of unicellular, coenocytic, colonial, and multicellular organisms, such as the protozoans, slime molds, brown algae, and red algae.
- n. A unicellular protoctist in taxonomic systems in which the protoctists are considered to form a kingdom.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the eukaryotic unicellular organisms including protozoans, slime molds and some algae; historically grouped into the kingdom Protoctista.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Protista.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the Protista, or having their characters.
- n. Any member of the Protista.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. free-living or colonial organisms with diverse nutritional and reproductive modes
From New Latin Prōtista, former kingdom name, from Greek prōtista, neuter pl. of prōtistos, the very first, superlative of prōtos, first; see per1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)