from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One of the rudimentary front wings of certain insects (Stylops). They resemble the halteres, or rudimentary hind wings, of Diptera.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. One of the greatly reduced elytra of a stylopid beetle.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.