from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An infectious disease of parrots and related birds caused by the bacterium Chlamydia psittaci, that is communicable to humans, in whom it produces high fever, severe headache, and symptoms similar to pneumonia. Also called parrot fever.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An infection by Chlamydia bacteria, caught from infected birds, and characterised by fever, pneumonia and headaches.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An infectious influenza-like disease of parrots, which may be transmitted to man in the form of disease of the lungs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. infectious disease of birds
- n. an atypical pneumonia caused by a rickettsia microorganism and transmitted to humans from infected birds
New Latin psittacōsis : Latin psittacus, parrot (from Greek psittakos) + -osis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin psittacus ("parrot") + -osis (Wiktionary)