from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Employment within a governmental system, especially within the civil service.
- noun A service performed for the benefit of the public, especially by a nonprofit organization.
- noun The business of supplying an essential commodity, such as water or electricity, or a service, such as communications or transportation, to the public.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun US A service
assertedto be for the public good provided by a for-profit enterprise or trade association.
- noun UK A service, usually provided by the
government, for the general publicor its specific section.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun employment within a government system (especially in the civil service)
- noun a service that is performed for the benefit of the public or its institutions
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.