from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Employment within a governmental system, especially within the civil service.
- n. A service performed for the benefit of the public, especially by a nonprofit organization.
- n. The business of supplying an essential commodity, such as water or electricity, or a service, such as communications or transportation, to the public.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A service asserted to be for the public good provided by a for-profit enterprise or trade association.
- n. A service, usually provided by the government, for the general public or its specific section.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. employment within a government system (especially in the civil service)
- n. a service that is performed for the benefit of the public or its institutions
Sorry, no etymologies found.