from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A reddish crystalline compound, C14H5O2(OH)3, that is isolated from madder root for use as a biological stain and commercial dye.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A red anthraquinone dye, extracted from madder, that is used as a biological stain
- n. A protein of the lipocalin family
- n. A brownish or deep red decorative glass used in ancient times
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dyestuff resembling alizarin, found in madder root, and extracted as an orange or red crystalline substance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A red coloring matter, C14H5O2(OH)3, used in dyeing, extracted from madder and prepared artificially by the oxidation of artificial alizarin.
Latin purpura, purple; see purple + -in.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)