- v. To cause (someone) to sleep.
- v. To help (someone) to bed.
- v. figuratively To render dormant.
- v. euphemistic To kill an animal painlessly, often with an injection; to euthanize.
- v. informal To give a general anesthetic prior to surgery.
- v. help someone go to bed
- v. kill gently, as with an injection
“On August 7, 1991, Schottzie, the 160-pound St. Bernard who was the mascot of the Cincinnati Reds and the close companion of Reds owner Marge Schott, was put to sleep after being diagnosed for terminal cancer.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘put to sleep’.
Terms of homicide; weapons, poisons, synonyms &c.
certain words seem given to usage in understatement, as pat phrases, by the mechanism of cliché; others because restraint, moderation or ambiguity are implicit in the words' definitions; and others...
no love lost, a minor inconveni..., that could have g..., he chose poorly, crossing the stre..., I've got a feelin..., slight miscalcula..., oh bother, not amused, no fun, a bit much, a little under th... and 55 more...
Looking for tweets for put to sleep.