from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Exorbitant rent.
- transitive v. To exact exorbitant rent for or from.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A rent of the full annual value of the tenement, or near it; an excessive or unreasonably high rent.
- transitive v. To subject to rack-rent, as a farm or tenant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rent raised to the highest possible limit; a rent greater than any tenant can reasonably be expected to pay: used especially of land-rents in Ireland.
- To subject to the payment of rack-rent.
- To impose rack-rents.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an extortionate rent
From rack1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)