from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A white crystalline sugar, C18H32O16·5H2O, obtained from cottonseed meal, sugar beets, and molasses.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A trisaccharide, comprised of galactose, glucose and fructose, that is widely distributed in many plants
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A colorless crystalline slightly sweet substance obtained from the molasses of the sugar beet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A crystalline sugar, C18H32O16 + 5H2O, found in Australian manna from different species of Eucalyptus, sugar-beets, cotton-seed, and barley.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a trisaccharide that occurs in sugar beets and cotton seeds and certain cereals
French, from raffiner, to refine : re-, again (from Old French; see re-) + affiner, to refine (from Old French : a-, to from Latin ad-; see ad- + fin, fine from Old French; see fine1).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)