from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, relating to, or resembling a frog
- adj. Relating to, or designating, a swelling under the tongue; also, relating to the region where the swelling occurs; applied especially to branches of the lingual artery and lingual vein.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the frogs and toads.
- adj. Pertaining to, or designating, a swelling under the tongue; also, pertaining to the region where the swelling occurs; -- applied especially to branches of the lingual artery and lingual vein.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In herpetology, pertaining to frogs; related or belonging to the Ranidæ; raniform.
- In anatomy, pertaining to the under side of the tip of the tongue, where a tumor called a ranula is sometimes formed.
The vena comitans of the hypoglossal nerve (ranine vein), a branch of considerable size, begins below the tip of the tongue, and may join the lingual; generally, however, it passes backward on the Hyoglossus, and joins the common facial.
Sometimes the ranine vein can be seen immediately beneath the mucous membrane, a little lateral to the frenulum.
The fourth, or terminal part, under the name of the profunda linguæ (ranine artery) runs along the under surface of the tongue to its tip; here it is superficial, being covered only by the mucous membrane; above it is the Longitudinalis inferior, and on the medial side the Genioglossus.
The Arteria Profunda Linguæ (ranine artery; deep lingual artery) is the terminal portion of the lingual artery; it pursues a tortuous course and runs along the under surface of the tongue, below the Longitudinalis inferior, and above the mucous membrane; it lies on the lateral side of the Genioglossus, accompanied by the lingual nerve.
The external carotid artery is covered by the skin, superficial fascia, Platysma, deep fascia, and anterior margin of the Sternocleidomastoideus; it is crossed by the hypoglossal nerve, by the lingual, ranine, common facial, and superior thyroid veins; and by the Digastricus and Stylohyoideus; higher up it passes deeply into the substance of the parotid gland, where it lies deep to the facial nerve and the junction of the temporal and internal maxillary veins.
The blood is returned to the internal jugular by the ranine vein, which can be seen under the mucous membrane on the inferior aspect near the frenum, and by the venæ comites of the lingual artery and its branches.
The chief artery, the _lingual_, a branch of the external carotid, passes forward beneath the hyoglossus muscle, and is continued to the apex as the ranine, lying nearer the under than the upper aspect of the tongue.
Fellow cosplayers also include the BLU spy, a short, stocky girl with a fake RED engineer mask; the BLU engineer, a soft-spoken burly man in his 20s and the RED engineer, a ranine old woman; the BLU sniper, a large, jolly woman from Australia, and the BLU Medic, a sweet, somewhat ageless lady from New Jersey with a very well-made costume.
Others are not as familiar, anserine ` gooselike. 'ranine ` froglike' and ca\pgrave\rine ` goatlike. '
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.