American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A fox of the genus Vulpes, characteristically having reddish fur, especially V. fulva of North America and V. vulpes of Europe.
- n. A common species of fox, Vulpes vulpes native to North America, Asia, Europe and North Africa; small, with reddish fur, but larger than the arctic fox.
- n. A flowering plant, Celosia argentea, having brightly coloured flowers of several shades.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Zoöl.) the common American fox (Vulpes fulvus), which is usually reddish in color.
- n. New World fox; often considered the same species as the Old World fox
- n. weedy annual with spikes of silver-white flowers
- n. the common Old World fox; having reddish-brown fur; commonly considered a single circumpolar species
“Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, standing adjacent to each other in central California, had also lost their populations of red fox and river otter.”
“I presume he means the red fox of Europe; as does Kalm, where he says ‖, that in size 'they do not quite come up to our foxes.”
“They shared the meadow with a red fox who hunted it for rodents, mostly, but wasn't averse to chewing on whatever juicy bugs she could catch there.”
“By the time mammoth leg-bone posts -- with red fox tails tied to them and baskets woven with brightly dyed grasses inverted on top -- were raised to mark the throwing line, the day was beginning to take on a feeling of celebration.”
“The red fox was missing from Bryce Canyon National Park.”
“For proceeding next to the red fox of America, he says 'they are entirely the same with the European sort.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘red fox’.
how red is used
bushy red mint, California red scale, dark red silver ore, down the red lane, Florida red scale, in red, in the red, in (the) red row, Knights of the Re..., light red silver ore, old red lammas, on red and 764 more...
dog dogs and more dogs anything
I can think of ,canids and their
my favourite African wild dog
all have 42 teeth
Names of places, animals, plants, people, etc. found in and around Alaska.
Animals and birds of nations and states. Also see Stately Plants
Looking for tweets for red fox.