from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several marine food fishes of the genus Lutjanus, of tropical and semitropical waters, having red or reddish bodies.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several Atlantic foodfishes, of the genus Lutjanus, that have reddish bodies
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a large fish (Lutjanus aya syn. Lutjanus Blackfordii) abundant in the Gulf of Mexico and about the Florida reefs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. highly esteemed reddish lean flesh of snapper from Atlantic coast and Gulf of Mexico
- n. an esteemed food fish with pinkish red head and body; common in the Atlantic coastal waters of North America and the Gulf of Mexico
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.