from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small red mites of the family Tetranychidae that feed on vegetation, causing damage to the leaves. Also called spider mite.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a very small web-spinning mite (Tetranychus telarius) which infests, and often destroys, plants of various kinds, especially those cultivated in houses and conservatories. It feeds mostly on the under side of the leaves, and causes them to turn yellow and die. The adult insects are usually pale red. Called also red mite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small red mite or acarine, Tetranychus telarius, formerly called Acarus telarius, now placed in the family Tetranychidæ: found in conservatories.
- n. Any one of several species of tetranychid mites common in greenhouses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small web-spinning mite; a serious orchard pest
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.