from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See red-winged blackbird.
- n. A European thrush (Turdus iliacus) having reddish feathers under the wings and a white eye stripe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small thrush, Turdus iliacus, native to Eurasia, with a white eye stripe and red under-wing feathers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A European thrush (Turdus iliacus). Its under wing coverts are orange red. Called also redwinged thrush. (b) A North American passerine bird (Agelarius phœniceus) of the family Icteridæ. The male is black, with a conspicuous patch of bright red, bordered with orange, on each wing. Called also redwinged blackbird, red-winged troupial, marsh blackbird, and swamp blackbird.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The red-winged thrush of Europe, Turdus iliacus.
- n. The red-winged marsh-blackbird of America, A Agelæux phœniceus. See Agelæus and blackbird.
- n. In South Africa, one of the francolins, Francolinus Coaillanti, a game-bird somewhat resembling the quail.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small European thrush having reddish flanks
- n. North American blackbird with scarlet patches on the wings
Sorry, no etymologies found.