from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • adj. Designating sound recording equipment or sound recordings that use magnetic tape which must be threaded through the equipment and onto an empty reel.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A machine that records sound onto, or plays sound from, tape wound on one reel, by feeding it through to another reel.


Originally descriptive, used in reel-to-reel recorder and like phrases, then shortened. (Wiktionary)


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.