from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The reduction by a judge of damages awarded by a jury.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A remission or surrender, -- remittitur damnut being a remission of excess of damages.
- n. A sending back, as when a record is remitted by a superior to an inferior court.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In law: Relinquishment of a part of the damages found by a jury.
- n. The return of a record from the court of review to the lower court for proceedings as specified, as for execution or a new trial.
Sorry, no etymologies found.