from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A coin or medal freshly minted from an original die at a time after the first issue.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A coin newly struck from old dies after the original minting of that coin had ceased.
- v. To strike a coin from old dies after the original minting of that coin had ceased.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To strike again, as a coin, in order to change its image and superscription to those current in place of the old.
- To strike again: said of an electric arc which, after the current has momentarily ceased, forms again with metallic connection between the terminals.
- n. In numismatics, a modern, or at least more recent, impression from the original die.
re- + strike (To manufacture by stamping etc.) (Wiktionary)