from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To exceed an adversary's wager in a card game.
- v. To make a retort; to bandy words.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To vie with, or rival, in return.
- transitive v. To meet a wager on, as on the taking of a trick, with a higher wager.
- intransitive v. To exceed an adversary's wager in card playing.
- intransitive v. To make a retort; to bandy words.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To vie with again; rival in return; especially, at cards, to stake a larger sum against.
- To surpass the amount of (a responsive challenge or bet): an old phrase at cards; hence, in general, to outdo; outstrip; surpass.
- To respond to a challenge at cards by staking a larger sum; hence, to retort; recriminate.
re- + vie (Wiktionary)