from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pink to rose-red mineral, essentially a glassy crystalline manganese silicate, MnSiO3, used as an ornamental stone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a manganese inosilicate mineral with some substitution by iron and magnesium, of composition (Mn2+,Fe,Mg,Ca)SiO3
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Manganese spar, or silicate of manganese, a mineral occuring crystallised and in rose-red masses. It is often used as an ornamental stone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Native manganese silicate, sometimes containing zinc or calcium: a mineral occurring massive, rarely in distinct crystals, of a fine rose-red or pink color. It is sometimes used as an ornamental stone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pink or red mineral consisting of crystalline manganese silicate; used as an ornamental stone
From Greek rhodon, rose.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ῥόδον (rhodon, "rose") + -ite. (Wiktionary)