American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A pink to rose-red mineral, essentially a glassy crystalline manganese silicate, MnSiO3, used as an ornamental stone.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Native manganese silicate, sometimes containing zinc or calcium: a mineral occurring massive, rarely in distinct crystals, of a fine rose-red or pink color. It is sometimes used as an ornamental stone.
- n. mineralogy a manganese inosilicate mineral with some substitution by iron and magnesium, of composition (Mn2+,Fe,Mg,Ca)SiO3
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Min.) Manganese spar, or silicate of manganese, a mineral occuring crystallised and in rose-red masses. It is often used as an ornamental stone.
- n. a pink or red mineral consisting of crystalline manganese silicate; used as an ornamental stone
- From Ancient Greek ῥόδον (rhodon, "rose") + -ite. (Wiktionary)
- From Greek rhodon, rose. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I bought rhodonite stones at a rock shop and art supplies and some candles.”
“Creation -- a tableland between great mountains, full of masses of rhodonite contorted into grotesque shapes of stone images; a place where our lightest whispers came shouting back out of the profound stillness from the huge castellated black rocks bristling on the edge of a precipice which slit the valley from end to end.”
“Estimates range from $7,000 for a green bowenite arc trimmed in garnets to $90,000 for a pink rhodonite horse head with diamond eyes.”
“There are some regularly used gemstones found in Navajo and other Southwest Indian jewelry including turquoise, hematite, jasper, malachite, aventurine, amethyst and rhodonite.”
“Massachusetts, true to its deeply intellectual heritage, picked this mineral, rhodonite, as its state gem.”
“Billed as a Russian grey Kalgan jasper egg cup with rhodonite egg, it was stamped with the Russian imperial coat of arms, and sold for about ten times its estimate of £1,000 to $1,500.”
“AmySegreti Just another day in Boulder: attuning to my rhodonite necklace, wondering what form of technology Mercury in retrograde will affect next ...”
‘rhodonite’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for rhodonite.