from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several birds of paradise of the genera Craspedophora and Ptiloris of Australia and New Guinea.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of four species of birds of paradise in the genus Ptiloris.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of beautiful birds of Australia and New Guinea, of the genera Ptiloris and Craspidophora, allied to the paradise birds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An Australian bird of paradise, Ptilorhis paradisea, belonging to the slender-billed section (Epimachinæ) of the family Paradiseidæ: said to have been so named by the early colonists from suggesting by its colors the uniform of the Rifle Brigade.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. velvety black Australian bird of paradise with green and purple iridescence on head and tail
rifle + bird, from the resemblance of their black and green plumage to the uniform of early nineteenth-century British army riflemen. (Wiktionary)