from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several unrelated birds that have a ringed-neck
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of small plovers of the genus Ægialitis, having a ring around the neck. The ring is black in summer, but becomes brown or gray in winter. The semipalmated plover (Ægialitis semipalmata) and the piping plover (Ægialitis meloda) are common North American species. Called also ring plover, and ring-necked plover.
- n. The ring-necked duck.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several kinds of ring-plovers.
- n. The ring-necked duck or bastard broadbill, Fuligula rufitorques, having a reddish ring around the black neck in the male.
- n. In Australia, a jackaroo. The name is given in allusion to the white collar which the new arrival is apt to wear, until home training has been supplanted by bush customs. E. E. Morris, Austral English.
Sorry, no etymologies found.