from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thrust given in return after parrying a lunge.
- n. A quick and usually witty response to a taunt.
- n. An answer or reply, rapidly uttered, in response to a question or problem.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In fencing, a return thrust after a parry.
- n. A quick and sharp refort; a repartee.
From French riposte, taken from Italian riposta, a derivative of the verb rispondere ("to respond"). (Wiktionary)