from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stagecoach robber; a bandit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A criminal who accosts travelers and robs them.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a highwayman, especially on the stage routes of the unsettled western parts of the United States; -- a humorous euphemism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who collects dues from travelers on private roads; hence, jocosely, a highwayman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a holdup man who stops a vehicle and steals from it
Sorry, no etymologies found.