from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hard confection that is made by cooling a concentrated sugar syrup into large clear crystals around a piece of string or a stick.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a confectionary made by crystallizing sugar around a string
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a form of candy consisting of crystals of pure sugar which are very hard, whence the name.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Pure sugar in cohering crystals of considerable size and hardness. Also called candy-sugar, and sometimes Gibraltar rock.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. hard bright-colored stick candy (typically flavored with peppermint)
- n. sugar in large hard clear crystals on a string
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.