American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Rock containing halite as its main constituent.
- n. Coarsely ground or granulated common salt.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Salt existing in nature in the solid form, as distinguished from salt in solution, either in sea-water or in salt springs or lakes. Rock-salt made into prisms and lenses is invaluable in the study of the distribution of heat in the spectrum of the sun or other spectra, and in similar investigations, since it is very highly diathermanous even to the rays of long wave-length, which are largely absorbed by glass. See sælt.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Min.) cloride of sodium (common salt) occuring in rocklike masses in mines; mineral salt; salt dug from the earth. In the United States this name is sometimes given to salt in large crystals, formed by evaporation from sea water in large basins or cavities.
- n. naturally occurring crystalline sodium chloride
“Madame Devalier replaced upon its bed of rock salt and cracked ice the half-shell whose contents she had been about to slurp, and, while waiting for the word 'slime" to cease its vile reverberations in her mind's ear, she poured herself another glass of champagne.”
“A special type of rock salt found at Siwa valued for its chemical properties was known far and wide as the salt of Ammon—thus our term ammonia.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rock salt’.
how rock is used
on the rocks, on-the-rocks glass, peppermint rock, pile up the rocks..., pocketful of rock..., pull a rock, to, rock abode, rock accumulation, rock altar, rock alyssum, rock and rye, rock-apostle and 371 more...
race relations, rack bar, rack-raking machine, radial drainage, radial flow to a ..., radial gate, radial gate with ..., radial tyre, radial velocity, radial velocity o..., radial water coll..., radial-gate weir and 4474 more...
If you like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain, I would suggest this other list.
Looking for tweets for rock salt.