from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several wrens of the genus Salpinctes, especially S. obsoletus, found in rocky regions of the western United States and Mexico.
- n. A small wren (Xenicus gilviventris) that inhabits New Zealand and feeds mostly on the ground among stones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any one of several species of wrens of the genus Salpinctes, native of the arid plains of Lower California and Mexico.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. short-tailed bird resembling a wren
- n. wren inhabiting badlands and mesa country of western United States and Mexico
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.