from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several coarse, brownish seaweeds of the genera Fucus and Ascophyllum that grow on rocks in coastal areas.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Ascophyllum nodosum, a seaweed also known as kelp.
- n. Fucus vesiculosus, a similar seaweed also known as bladderwrack.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any coarse seaweed growing on sea-washed rocks, especially Fucus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A seaweed of the genera Fucus, Sargassum, etc., common on the rocks exposed at low tide.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. coarse brown seaweed growing on rocks exposed at low tide
rock + weed (Wiktionary)