from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of collecting or gathering together scattered cattle by riding around them and driving them in.
- n. A rounding up, or upward curvature or convexity, as in the deck of a vessel.
- n. A gathering in of scattered persons or things.
- transitive v. to collect or gather together scattered animals, persons, or things.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rounding up; the forming of upward curves; curvature upward.
- n. In grazing regions, the herding or driving together of all the cattle on a range or ranch, for inspection, branding, sorting, etc.; also, the beating up or gathering of any animals, as those of the chase.
- n. A rounding off or finishing, as of an arrangement or undertaking; a bringing round to settlement or completion.
- n. In ship-building, the convexity of a deck; crown; camber.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the activity of gathering livestock together so that they can be counted or branded or sold
- n. the systematic gathering up of suspects by the police
- n. a summary list; as in e.g.
- v. seek out and bring together
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Andrew Wheeler on A Most Auspicious Day (a round-up of April 1st pranks).
It is a "professional writing lifestyle" round-up.
I rely on the SFSignal link round-up to know what's going on in the SF blogosphere outside of my usual haunts.
When an SF link round-up becomes dominated by articles about the profession of writing then it is no longer an SF link round-up.
And of course, the usual round-up of news, events, and home video releases.
The program equates to the Fed buying an average of $110 billion in government debt every month, the AP notes in a round-up of the program's mechanics.
Mostly, though, Eurosport's coverage is a boon for us tennis lovers, being comprehensive and featuring a useful round-up at the end of the day in Game, Set and Mats featuring Mats Wilander, who I suspect was not necessarily the best pundit but is perfectly named for the show.
Summer is now in full swing with Monday's barbecues and bronzing by the pool, and so it's time for our annual iconic swimwear round-up.
If not the "supreme leader" suspecting meddling will tighten the grip on the government, and even round-up and jail ....... or kill those fighting for change in Iran!
I hope you do have plenty more of these events; I've been so busy lately and haven't had too much time to cook/bake, but I'd love to participate in a future round-up!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.