from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous beetles of the family Staphylinidae, often found in decaying matter and having slender bodies and short wing covers. Also called staphylinid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various carnivorous or scavenging beetles of the family Staphylinidae that are often found in decaying matter and have slender bodies and short wing covers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any one of numerous species of beetles of the family Staphylinidæ, having short elytra beneath which the wings are folded transversely. They are rapid runners, and seldom fly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A brachelytrous coleopterous insect of the family Staphylinidæ, especially one of the larger species, such as the devil's coach-horse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. active beetle typically having predatory or scavenging habits
Possibly from rove1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)