from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A polarimeter that indicates the concentration of sugar in a solution.
- n. An instrument that determines the concentration of sugar in a fermenting solution from carbon dioxide measurements.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A polarimeter used to measure the sugar content of a liquid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for ascertaining the quantity of saccharine matter in any solution, as the juice of a plant, or brewers' and distillers' worts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An optical instrument used to determine the quantity of sugar in a solution.
- n. A hydrometer for testing saccharine solutions, used by brewers; a saccharometer.
Sorry, no etymologies found.