from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chickenlike bird (Centrocercus urophasianus) of western North America, having long pointed tail feathers that can be spread like a fan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large grouse of western North America having mottled gray, black and buff plumage (Centrocercus urophasianus) which feeds on the buds of the sagebrush.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a very large American grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus), native of the dry sagebrush plains of Western North America. Called also cock of the plains. The male is called sage cock, and the female sage hen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large North American grouse, Centrocercus urophasianus, characteristic of the sage-brush regions of western North America.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large grouse of sagebrush regions of North America
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.