from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A velvet-black mineral that is a complex mixture of several rare-earth metals with niobium and tantalum oxide.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A shiny black radioactive mineral that contains a complex mixture of rare earth oxides
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. A rare mineral having a velvet-black color and submetallic luster. It is a niobate of uranium, iron, and the yttrium and cerium metals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A niobate of uranium, iron, and manganese, of a velvet-black color, submetallic luster, and conchoidal fracture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a complex black mineral occurring in pegmatites
After Col. M. von Samarski, 19th-century Russian mining official.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
After Vasilii Evgrafovich Samarski-Bykhovets in 1847. (Wiktionary)