from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several small food fishes of the genus Citharichthys of Pacific waters, related to and resembling the flounders.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various small flatfish of the genus Citharichthys native to the Pacific coast of the Americas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a small American flounder (Limanda ferruginea); -- called also rusty dab. The name is also applied locally to other allied species.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of plaice, the rusty dab, Limanda ferruginea, found along the Atlantic coast of the United States, especially northward. Its colored side is brownish-olive with irregular reddish spots. See dab.
- n. A common name for a flounder, Hippoglossoides platessoides, found on both sides of the North Atlantic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the lean flesh of a small flounder from the Pacific coast of North America
- n. small food fishes of the Pacific coast of North America
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.