American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various thin circular echinoderms of the class Echinoidea, especially Echinarachnius parma, of coastal northern Atlantic and Pacific waters, having a covering of short movable spines.
- n. The disklike internal skeleton of a sand dollar, having five radially symmetric oblong markings and often a pattern of slotlike holes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A flat sea-urchin, as Echinarachnius parma, or Mellita quinquefora; a cake-urchin. The fishermen on the coast of Maine and New Brunswick sometimes prepare a marking-ink from sand-dollars, by rubbing off the spines and skin, and, after pulverizing, making the mass into a thin paste with water. See placenta, Scutellidæ, shield-urchin, and cuts under Encope, cake-urchin, and sea-urchin.
- n. An echinoderm, of the order Clypeastroida, that has a flat, disk-shaped body with the mouth in a mid-ventral position, and lives in sand, on or near the surface
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) any one of several species of small flat circular sea urchins, which live on sandy bottoms, especially Echinarachnius parma of the American coast.
- n. flattened disklike sea urchins that live on sandy bottoms
“For his part, Eli attempted the defense that every afflicted and hunted beast attempts, the defense of a sand dollar that settles into the ocean floor or a beaten dog that cowers beneath his forepaws, the worthless twin defenses of shrinkage and anonymity.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sand dollar’.
race relations, rack bar, rack-raking machine, radial drainage, radial flow to a ..., radial gate, radial gate with ..., radial tyre, radial velocity, radial velocity o..., radial water coll..., radial-gate weir and 4474 more...
A nitty-gritty list for words containing sand-, -sand-, or -sand; and apropos terms and phrases. Your contributions are welcome.
Names of colors in fashion and advertising
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
A list of My Little Pony names from the G3 collection. 2003-present
A list of My Little Pony names from the original (G1) collection. 1982-1992
And other remnants of the sea.
Looking for tweets for sand dollar.