from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thin membrane enclosing a striated muscle fiber.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thin cell membrane that surrounds a striated muscle fibre
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The very thin transparent and apparently homogeneous sheath which incloses a striated muscular fiber; the myolemma.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An elastic transparent structureless membrane which forms a tubular sheath enveloping and supporting each fiber (bundle of fibrillæ) of striped muscular tissue, excepting that of the heart. See muscular tissue, under muscular.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an extensible membrane enclosing the contractile substance of a muscle fiber
sarco- + Greek lemma, husk; see lemma2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)