American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A cotton fabric with a satinlike finish.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fabric having a glossy surface, so called from its resemblance to satin; specifically, a kind of worsted goods much used for linings.
- n. A cotton fabric. A thick and strong fabric resembling jean, used for corsets, women's shoes, etc.
- n. A type of cotton cloth with a shiny surface and dull back, woven using the technique that, when applied to silk or nylon, results in cloth called satin.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A kind of dress goods made of cotton or woolen, with a glossy surface resembling satin.
- n. a cotton fabric with a satiny finish
- Alteration (influenced by velveteen) of satin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We do the stretch sateen, which is a heavier woven fabric, and we usually accessorize with tights," she said.”
“how could i? they're slick, pewter-colored "sateen" sheets, 230 thread count, 100% cotton and they look positively LAVISH with our maroon velvet comforter. god, it's gorgeous. and i deserve these sheets, dammit i do. since moriarty6 and i have lived together, we've had nothing but cheap-assed Tar-JHAY sheets that annually fall apart at the seams--and once in awhile, a woman who has already telefiled her tax return deserves something nice. she deserves new bedding.”
““Shabbat shalom,” responds the man, whose black sateen yarmulke stands up, tentlike, on his balding head.”
“She was dressed in a midnight blue sateen slip, a school tie nicked from the single dad who'd recently fallen in love with her, and her blue patent-leather high-heeled Bally boots.”
“It does look like a Renaissance festival," the chic New Yorker laughed, commenting on the tattoos and the brightly colored sateen/polyester flouncy shirts that a team from Colby College sported.”
“The original contraption was assembled from a tin soap box, a fan, a sateen pillow case and a broom handle called a "suction sweeper," according to its website.”
“I have a beautiful grosgrain satin or sateen dress in a dove grey that my grandmother had made to wear to my mother's wedding in 1953.”
“Nearly always wearing a little blouse with small tucks, fine linen and broderie anglaise, and sometimes a black sateen apron, her delicate feet clad in black boots with buttons.”
“For 100-percent-cotton sateen and twill-weave sets, the top-scoring sheet has a claimed thread count of 1,000, though some 300-thread-count sheets were better than 400 - or 600-thread-count models.”
“For 100-percent-cotton sateen and twill-weave sets, the top-scoring sheet has a claimed thread count of 1,000, though some 300-thread-count sheets were better than 400- or 600-thread-count models.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sateen’.
Woven, knit and tatted fabrics. Other kinds of cloth, such as tapa and chamois are not included.
types of fabric
Looking for tweets for sateen.