from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A butterfly of the family Satyridae, including the satyrs and wood nymphs.
- adj. Of or belonging to the Satyridae.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any butterfly of the family Satyridae
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the lepidopterous subfamily Satyrinæ.
- Having the characters of or belonging to the subfamily Satyrinæ.
From New Latin Satyridae, family name, from Satyrus, type genus, from Latin satyrus, satyr; see satyr.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)