American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A pot roast of beef marinated in vinegar, water, wine, and spices before being cooked.
- n. A German dish of roasted marinated horse meat or beef. (Today, in most cases, beef is used instead of horse meat; pork is also used.)
- n. pot roast marinated several days in seasoned vinegar before cooking; usually served with potato dumplings
- From German: sauer ("sour") + Braten ("roast meat") (Wiktionary)
- German : sauer, sour (from Middle High German sūr, from Old High German) + Braten, roast meat (from Middle High German brāte, edible meat, from Old High German brāto; see bhreu- in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Today, at "Jean-Claude" he serves up dishes such as sauerbraten, or traditional pot roast.”
“Joe Kohen for The Wall Street Journal The hearty sauerbraten stew, shown here, is slow-braised bottom round beef marinated in red wine vinegar with root vegetables on the side.”
“So it's fitting that it offers a three-week Oktoberfest menu (this year through Oct. 17.) that includes several wurst offerings ($8-$16) and German side dishes ($3) as well as a hearty, cut-with-a-fork sauerbraten "stew" (slow-braised bottom round beef marinated in red wine vinegar, with root vegetables on the side) for $14.”
“Sometimes it was a ride to the doctor, other times it was sharing her famous recipes, whether gefilte fish, hamantashen, Jordan's blueberry muffins, or her husband's favorite sauerbraten.”
“One liberal blowhard in favor of Obama is grateful to know that his recent craving for sauerbraten can be chalked up to his support of a "hitler type" instead of the cold weather and pictures of Oktoberfest on the news.”
“Featuring sauerbraten, sauerkraut and rye bread; also, hot dogs and dessert.”
“I really have to wonder who their customers are, especially during the summer, but the food was good; I had sauerbraten with spaetzele and rotkohl.”
“To deglaze a pan after sautéing pork chops that will be served with a side of cooked sliced apples or in a complex dish such as sauerbraten.”
“This version of sauerbraten is distinguished by its warm spices and long, slow marinating.”
“Her neighbor, Roma McBride, thought that sauerbraten was American because she got the recipe from the butcher.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sauerbraten’.
Another compilation of spelling words suitable for intermediate to advanced spellers.
Loanwords from German -- some established, some wet behind the ears -- that are difficult to spell, pronounce, or remember.
The short O as in "pot" is a most disagreeable sound.
need to learn these words!!!!!!!!
Looking for tweets for sauerbraten.