from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Reproduction by multiple asexual fission, characteristic of many sporozoans.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. asexual reproduction of protozoans etc characterized by multiple divisions of the nucleus and cell
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as schizogenesis.
- n. Self-mutilation; antotomy. A constriction somewhat similar to that which occurs in Linckia before schizogony of the arm takes place.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. asexual reproduction by multiple fission; characteristic of many sporozoan protozoans
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The sporozoites, injected by the infected female Anopheles mosquito, are carried to the liver, where they undergo asexual forms known as exoerythrocytic schizogony to form merozoites.
This phase of the infection (erythrocytic schizogony) is responsible for malaria pathogenesis.
In particular, examination of sporogonic development and exo-erythrocytic schizogony has made use of
Using this transgenic strain, parasite tracking and population dynamics studies in mosquito stages and exo-erythrocytic schizogony is greatly facilitated.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.