from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Metal scraps or clippings; especially the remains of fillets from which coin blanks have been cut.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The clippings of metals made in various mechanical operations.
- n. The slips or plates of metal out of which circular blanks have been cut for the purpose of coinage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The clippings of various metals, produced in several mechanical operations.
- n. The remainder of a plate of metal after the planchets or circular blanks have been cut out for the purpose of coinage; scrap.
From French cisailles, plural, scissels, from cisailler ("to clip with shears"), from cisailles ("scissors"), from Latin caesaculum, from Latin caesus, from caedere ("to cut, hew"). (Wiktionary)