from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Metal scraps or clippings; especially the remains of fillets from which coin blanks have been cut.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The clippings of metals made in various mechanical operations.
- n. The slips or plates of metal out of which circular blanks have been cut for the purpose of coinage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The clippings of various metals, produced in several mechanical operations.
- n. The remainder of a plate of metal after the planchets or circular blanks have been cut out for the purpose of coinage; scrap.
From French cisailles, plural, scissels, from cisailler ("to clip with shears"), from cisailles ("scissors"), from Latin caesaculum, from Latin caesus, from caedere ("to cut, hew"). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.