Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The clippings of various metals, produced in several mechanical operations.
- n. The remainder of a plate of metal after the planchets or circular blanks have been cut out for the purpose of coinage; scrap.
- n. Metal scraps or clippings; especially the remains of fillets from which coin blanks have been cut.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The clippings of metals made in various mechanical operations.
- n. The slips or plates of metal out of which circular blanks have been cut for the purpose of coinage.
- From French cisailles, plural, scissels, from cisailler ("to clip with shears"), from cisailles ("scissors"), from Latin caesaculum, from Latin caesus, from caedere ("to cut, hew"). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘scissel’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
scintilla is the most favoured one
with 95 listings
ironically more than a scintilla of recognition
how many words can I make mine this summer?
Words that can be pronounced identically but are spelled differently. I've started with unusual or extensive sets. In some of these sets, no one speaker would pronounce them all the same. I've trie...
created to break clichés and cause temporary floundering
Looking for tweets for scissel.