from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument used to determine the relative hardness of a material by measuring the pressure required to penetrate the material with a standard diamond stylus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device used to measure the hardness of a material by applying pressure to a moving diamond stylus
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for determining with accuracy the degree of hardness of a mineral.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for determining with precision the degree of hardness of a mineral.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a measuring instrument that measures the hardness of materials by penetrating them with a stylus that has a diamond point
Sorry, no etymologies found.