Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sclerous or scleroskeletal structure intervening between successive myotomes; a division or partition of muscles by means of intervening sclerous tissue, as occurs in the muscles of the trunk of various amphibians and fishes.
- n. A knife used in incising the sclerotic.
- n. That portion of the meta-merically segmented mesoderm of the vertebrate embryo which gives rise to the sustentacular or supporting structures, such as the bony, cartilaginous, and connective-tissue skeleton.
- n. surgery A knife used in sclerotomy
- n. anatomy A segmented mass of mesenchymal tissue, in a somite, that develops into the ribs
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) One of the bony, cartilaginous, or membranous partitions which separate the myotomes.
“In each of the provertebrae it is called the "sclerotome" (in opposition to the outlying muscular plate, the "myotome").”
“The cells of the segment become differentiated into three groups, which form respectively the cutis-plate or dermatome, the muscle-plate or myotome, and the sclerotome (Fig. 64).”
“The cells of the sclerotome are largely derived from those forming the core of the myocl, and lie next the notochord.”
“The lower or ventral part of each sclerotome (the inner and lower edge of the cube-shaped provertebra) divides into two plates, which grow round the chorda, and thus form the foundation of the body of the vertebra”
“_transfixio iridis_ of Fuchs; Antonelli's peripheral iritomy; Holth's formation of a cystoid cicatrix; Hern's operation; Terson's sclero-iridectomy; Abadie's ciliarotomy; Ballantyne's incarceration of iris method; Masselon's small equatorial sclerotomy; Simi's equatorial sclerotomy; Galezowski's sclero-choriotomy; excision of the cervical ganglion; removal of the ciliary ganglion; Querenghi's operation of sclero-choriotomy; Bettremieux's simple anterior sclerectomy; Heine's cyclodialysis; Herbert's wedge-isolation operation; Verhoeff's operation with a special sclerotome; Holth's sclerectomy with a punch-forceps;”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sclerotome’.
Goodies pulled from a list I've compiled of most-every word having these letters in common — It's going take to take a long, long time to actually get through (and I may want to extend it lat...
Looking for tweets for sclerotome.