from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small European migratory owl, Otus scops, that winters in sub-Saharran Africa.
- n. Any bird of the genus Otus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Any one of numerous species of small owls of the genus Scops having ear tufts like those of the horned owls, especially the European scops owl (Scops giu), and the American screech owl (S. asio).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A scops, especially the small scops of Europe, Scops giu.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several small owls having ear tufts and a whistling call
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.