- n. printing The accumulation of sticky ink on a plate.
- n. That which is scummed off; skimmings; scum.
- n. video games, derogatory The strategy of collecting easy rewards in unchallenging areas, e.g. when a high-level character visits levels suitable for low-level characters in roguelike games.
- n. video games, derogatory The act of restoring a game's save file for the purpose of continuing play with a better outcome than was obtained the first time.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of taking off scum.
- n. That which is scummed off; skimmings; scum; -- used chiefly in the plural.
- Probably from skimming, modified by the derogatory sense of scum. (Wiktionary)
“This question of "scumming" is very important to the maker of high-class facing and moulded bricks, and where a clay containing calcium sulphate must be used, a certain percentage of barium carbonate is nowadays added to the wet clay.”
“You lobbyist love scumming individuals who rob the poor to make yourselves rich off our hard working backs of Americans.”
“It was a cookie you can imagine enjoying after a long day of casting tankards or dipping candles or scumming sugar.”
“But that's what Simmons and her contemporaries did, scumming away to ensure clean sugar even when the cone it came from was made from the dregs of a hogshead.”
“Anybody seen that male escort/reporter scumming around?”
“It's not a very admirable way - I hate scumming off my friends.”
“A green glow, shimmering and shining, reached up from the floor of the audience hall and stained the white marble rail and balustrades to the unpleasant green of algae scumming on a still pond.”
“Due to their superior hygiene, they are recommended for use in the fermentation of night soil and for cases involving pronounced scumming, e.g. due to rapid evaporation, since the gasholder cannot get stuck in the scum.”
“As they carry much water vapour, there is a risk of spoiling green bricks by condensation (e.g. softening of bricks, surface cracking, and scumming by salts deposited from the products of combustion).”
“The drying out of the latter on the moulded bricks (before firing) produce unsightly scumming.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘scumming’.
A random list of things people are looking up on Wordnik.
Another of my random palavery lists for words or phrases that haven't yet found a place in one or more of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for scumming.