from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various marine food fishes of the family Sparidae or Bramidae, especially a sparid fish (Archosargus rhomboidalis) of western Atlantic coastal waters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any of several species of marine fish of the families Sparidae or Bramidae found in Atlantic waters.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Any one of several species of sparoid fishes, especially the common European species (Pagellus centrodontus), the Spanish (P. Oweni), and the black sea bream (Cantharus lineatus); -- called also old wife.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several sparoid fishes; with some authors, the Sparidæ in general.
- n. A fish, of the family Bramidæ, Brama or Lepodus rayi, distantly related to the mackerels and dolphins.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous marine percoid fishes especially (but not exclusively) of the family Sparidae
- n. flesh of any of various saltwater fishes of the family Sparidae or the family Bramidae
Sorry, no etymologies found.