American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various fish-eating eagles or similar birds, such as the bald eagle or the osprey.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any eagle of the genus Haliaëtus, having the shank scaly. The bird to which the name most frequently attaches is H. albicilla, the white-tailed sea-eagle. The bald eagle, H. leucocephalus, is another. The largest and most magnificent sea-eagle is H. (Thalassoaëtus) pelagicus of Kamchatka and other localities. This is over 3 feet long, 7 feet or more in extent of wings, the wing 2 feet, the tail 14 inches, cuneate and of 14 feathers; the adult is dark-brown, with white shoulders and tail, bright-yellow bill and feet, and pale-yellow eyes. See also cut under
- n. The white-tailed fishing-eagle of India, Palioaëtus ichthyaëtus.
- n. The osprey or fishinghawk, Pandion haliaëtus. See cut under osprey.
- n. The eagle-ray, Myliobatis aquila, a batoid fish. See cut under eagle-ray.
- n. An eagle with a distinctive white tail; specifically, the white-tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla).
- n. A genus of eagles (genus Haliaeetus).
GNU Webster's 1913
- (Zoöl.) Any one of several species of fish-eating eagles of the genus Haliæetus and allied genera, as the North Pacific sea eagle (H. pelagicus), which has white shoulders, head, rump, and tail; the European white-tailed eagle (H. albicilla); and the Indian white-tailed sea eagle, or fishing eagle (Polioaëtus ichthyaëtus). The bald eagle and the osprey are also sometimes classed as
- (Zoöl.) The eagle ray. See under Ray.
- n. large harmless hawk found worldwide that feeds on fish and builds a bulky nest often occupied for years
- n. any of various large eagles that usually feed on fish
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sea eagle’.
race relations, rack bar, rack-raking machine, radial drainage, radial flow to a ..., radial gate, radial gate with ..., radial tyre, radial velocity, radial velocity o..., radial water coll..., radial-gate weir and 4474 more...
Key words of the Odyssey by Homer in English including all those famous repeating epitethons like
endemic species of terra australis
Animals and birds I actually encounter physically or see up close around where I live in Australia.
Looking for tweets for sea eagle.