from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small tropical American tree (Coccolobis uvifera) growing on sandy beaches and having large, glossy, leathery, rounded leaves and hard purplish fruit arranged in grapelike clusters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small tree, Coccolobis uvifera, that grows on sandy beaches in tropical America; it has clusters of purple fruit
- n. The gulf weed.
- n. The clusters of gelatinous egg capsules of a squid (Loligo).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The gulf weed. See under gulf.
- A shrubby plant (Coccoloba uvifera) growing on the sandy shores of tropical America, somewhat resembling the grapevine.
- The clusters of gelatinous egg capsules of a squid (Loligo).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See grape.
- n. The grape-tree or seaside grape, Coccoloba uvifera. See grape-tree.
- n. A glasswort, Salicornia herbacea.
- n. 4. plural The clustered egg-cases of squids, cuttles, and other cephalopods. Sometimes they are numerous enough to choke the dredges and interfere with oystering.
- n. The salt-grape (which see, under grape).
Sorry, no etymologies found.