Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A querulous or captious sailor, disposed to criticize orders rather than to obey them; one who is always arguing about his work, and making trouble.
- n. The gray or mangrove snapper. See snapper.
- n. A shark.
- n. nautical, slang A shark.
GNU Webster's 1913
- (Zoöl.) The gray snapper. See under snapper.
- n. an argumentative and contentious seaman
“You sound like a sea lawyer to me, Mr Hornblower.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sea lawyer’.
for the same
A somewhat discriminatory list of words and phrases collected for their euphonic or arcane appeal, interesting etymology, or concise definition of an otherwise unnamed phenomenon or concept.
Words I like, and should try to use more often.
Looking for tweets for sea lawyer.