Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A percoideous fish, Labrax lupus, or some species of that genus; a sea-dace; a bass. Its spines, especially the dorsal spines, are strong and sharp, and the gill-covers are edged with projecting teeth that cut like lancets, so that if grasped carelessly it inflicts severe wounds. It is voracious in its habits. See cut under
- n. A serranoid fish of the genus Serranus; any serranoid.
- n. The redfish or rose-fish, Sebastes viviparus or marinus. See cut under Sebastes.
- n. Same as cunner.
- n. In New Zealand: A scorpænoid fish, Sebastapistes cottoides.
- n. A labroid fish, Pseudolabrus celidotus.
- n. In Australia, Latris antarcticus, a fish of the family Cirrhitidæ.
GNU Webster's 1913
- The European bass (Roccus lupus syn. Labrax lupus); -- called also
- The cunner.
- The sea bass.
- The name is applied also to other species of fishes.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘sea perch’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for sea perch.