Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sea-barrow, or sea-pincushion; a skate-barrow. See cut under mermaid's-purse.
- n. A swirl of the undertow making a small whirlpool on the surface of the water; a local outward current, dangerous to bathers. Also called sea-pouce and sea-puss.
- n. The egg case of skate, shark or ratfish; a mermaid's purse.
- n. The sea bean Dioclea reflexa.
- n. rare Alternative form of sea puss.
- n. the seaward undercurrent created after waves have broken on the shore
- Alteration of sea puss. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sea-purse’.
A list of words with definitions directing us to "see cut under" (or "see cut at") another definition (with hilarity occasionally ensuing).
Another of my random palavery lists for terms and phrases that don't fit into any of my other lists.
And other remnants of the sea.
Looking for tweets for sea-purse.