from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The egg case of skate, shark or ratfish; a mermaid's purse.
- n. The sea bean Dioclea reflexa.
- n. Alternative form of sea puss.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sea-barrow, or sea-pincushion; a skate-barrow. See cut under mermaid's-purse.
- n. A swirl of the undertow making a small whirlpool on the surface of the water; a local outward current, dangerous to bathers. Also called sea-pouce and sea-puss.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the seaward undercurrent created after waves have broken on the shore
Named for its shape. (Wiktionary)
Alteration of sea puss. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.